Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A blanket - just in time for baby

DSC_0005

For such a simple blanket - just about the entire piece is made up solely of double crochets - this has become my favorite crocheted project ever.

DSC_0002

I finished the actual blanket shortly before Christmas, then feverishly worked to whipstich some doilies on the top - because heaven forbid if the baby would come and her blanket was still doily-less!  I was crossing my fingers that I had enough yarn, and some of the blocks were finished with a mere inches left on the skein.  Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky with the green and if you look in the bottom right corner, you'll see that I was one row and three stitches short.  Instead of waddling out to the yarn shop on Chirstmas eve, I just went with it and threw in some more yellow.

DSC_0008

For the edging, I ended up using the same method used on Dottie Angel's patchwork blanket  - a row of double crochet, a row of single crochet, then a simple picot stitch to finish it off.

DSC_0073

So even though she didn't feel like waiting until the crib skirt was finished to make her arrival, this cozy blanket was completed and waiting to wrap up this precious little bundle. 

Penelope June arrived on December 30 at 4:10pm, weighing in at 8 lbs, 13 oz - one week early, and not even 24 hours after my last blog post where I was bribing her to come out.  What a well behaved little girl :)

DSC_0079

Becoming a momma for the second time has been simply wonderful.  With Phoebe, I felt like I was wrapped in a new mommy fog of worries, anxiety, and post partum depression that lasted for months and I can barely remember her little baby days.  This time I feel like an old pro, where I can just relax and nuzzle my face into her sweet smelling baby hair for hours and hours.  It's simply divine.  Plus, as any momma knows - newborns are a piece of cake compared to toddlers!

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Such beautiful girls. And a very cute blanket too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! This is such a crazy coincidence, but Penelope and I share the same birthday and we were both born a week early. :) I hope you are getting lots of good snuggle time with both your girls. Your blanket is also just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Emily! Penelope June is beautiful! I love the photo of Phoebe with her new little sister on the blanket, so perfect and so sweet! Wishing you a speedy recovery and many many cuddle days with your two girls! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww....this is so adorable! Love the way it turned out! It's awesome! congrats again m'dear! And yes, I totally agree that newborns are way less work than toddlers. As my toddler get's older the little one seems easier and easeir :)

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. aahhhh congratulations she is beautiful and so is your other little girl what gorgeous eyes. Your blanket is stunning i love the lace dolie on there. Enjoy your little bundles ;-)) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily you are so talented and blessed....great job on the beautiful blanket and especially Penelope...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! She and the blanket are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for you, love! I love little Penelope already. I hope you plan to share her with us :). Tell her the crazy crafter who hugged her through your belly can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blanket is beautiful! The addition of the doilies is just perfect. I never would have thought of that (possibly since I don't crochet), but they look like beautiful snowflakes.

    We'll miss you at the retreat, but have fun snuggling :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! What pretty girls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!! So glad to hear you're both well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Penelope June, how sweet! Congrats again momma..wishing you all lots of nuzzling time together (cool idea with the doilies btw!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blanket is gorgeous, and so is your new little one! Congratulations! I love her name.

    ReplyDelete